Thursday, September 06, 2007

It's raining sweat, halleluyah

4. Dubai, UAE
24 hours/day

"Sweat is our interior coolant, part of a uniquely human biologic machine. The machine drips and occasionally stalls: long waits on torpid platforms can inspire glum reflections on how it will hold up as the planet heats up. But experts counsel optimism: the system is sturdy, adjustable and even reproducible by engineers working to make our future sweaty selves more comfortable." (Sweatology, Abigail Zuger, The New York Times, August 14, 2007)

There's not really more to say except that My Machine Drips. The thud of my sweat on the Dubayan pavements (guaranteed if I am outside for more than eight seconds) is audible and visible - one might think it is raining if they looked at the ground around my feet.

Rich Parker told me men sweat, women glow. Let's pretend this is true.