Sunday, September 16, 2007

If they don't give me proper credit I just walk away

6. Executive Office
Emirates Towers
11:42 a.m.

At least for now, I have to speak somewhat in code not only because I need to show the CIA that I can keep my career a secret, but also because either I take myself too seriously, or I don't want to be fired for talking to Rachel, Susie and Cara (WHASSUP?! SHOUT OUT!! BIOTCHESS! YEAAHHH) about confidential meetings.

That said, I think beneath the surface of Dubai, or at least what I thought was the surface, the values are there, the motives are admirable and it is not all about glitz and glam (even though I don't know a commercial art world where this doesn't seem to be half the point; is art the ultimate evidence of an evolved society? or evidence that people are struggling and need to express that struggle some how?).

The advisor we met with, who was stroking his dishdasha like a mane of luxurious hair and batting his eyelashes like his prince had finally appeared, is eager to build a city that in his words is more "phil collins than madonna."

Although I must have expected the leaders to be thinking this way given my task at hand (though I don't know quite what Phil Collins song expresses a material-less utopia), I was still very moved by the conversation.

I do constantly wonder who we're talking about here:

- the Yalumbaites! seem entertained enough.

- the taxi drivers work 7 days/week, 12 hours/day, 11 months/year and some how do not actually seem to be going insane (maybe they are all secretly painting in their one room, ten bed apartments)

- the locals...I don't yet know.

why should I subject my values on others?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home